Coconut Almond Steel Cut Oatmeal with Winter Fruits
This post is sponsored by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are 100% mine.
This creamy hearty oatmeal is a great way to start any day with nutty flavor and lots of fresh winter fruits to keep it exciting!
Happy Monday folks! We are still on a breakfast kick around here and I hope you are getting some inspiration to make your breakfasts more delicious. Breakfasts are key to any healthy lifestyle and for me, it is even more so important that I don’t get bored with them. From healthier baked donuts, to berry green smoothies to new ways to enjoy oatmeal, I keep things ever changing. (Do you notice I can eat all these on the go? Also key in my morning routine y’all!!)
I love trying new types of hearty grains and steel cut oats is one of those that I tried last year and loved (along with amaranth, farro and freekeh but that’s a story for another day). It’s been a staple in my kitchen ever since and just love how it makes my mornings so much easier. The beauty of steel cut oatmeal (apart from the hearty texture and rich, nutty taste of whole oat) is that it is a blank canvas for your creativity! I love mixing in different things to add flavor, crunch and protein to my breakfast.
Today’s recipe is an easy combination of coconut (my absolute favorite) milk, toasted almonds for some crunch, a hint of ginger for some warm heat and of course lots of fresh winter fruits. Persimmons, grapefruits and pomegranates were what I had on hand that day so they went in the bowl to create a hearty breakfast. Don’t you just love the colors of winter’s favorites?
If you have not tried steel cut oats yet, please do so!! I grabbed this 24oz Quaker Steel Cut Oats from my local Target store along with a million other things I REALLY needed (yay target!). But seriously, here are some more recipe ideas to get you started on this wonderful oatmeal option.
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk (about 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk)
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats (I used Quaker)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar, honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup combined unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons toasted almond slices
- 1 persimmon, sliced into cubes
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- In a medium saucepan bring water and coconut milk to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in oats, salt and ginger and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 25-30 minutes or until oats are your desired texture, stirring occasionally. Stir in agave nectar and coconut flakes/almond slices and cook for an addition minute.
- Serve immediately with fresh fruits.