Kit Kat Cupcakes
Kit Kat cupcakes are a great Halloween treat! A moist chocolate cupcake, frosted with a whipped Kit Kat candy bar buttercream.
Before I get started on these Kit Kat Cupcakes, I just wanted to say THANK YOU very much for the outpouring support on my first day back to work (re: last post). It was hard, as expected, but I made it and came home and cuddled with my little man for a good hour! Thankfully, he missed me too and just wanted to be held by mommy. I think it will get easier as we get into a routine, but for now I just have to treasure those moments we share at night.
Okieee dokieee these cupcakes!! You guys they are amaze-balls!! These are my cupcakes to start the celebration of Halloween around here. I am not really a fan of the creepy stuff that goes along with Halloween and probably why I ignore it as a real holiday but just like football season, I am a fan of the food and not the show. So I take to stuffing my candy in cupcakes and frostings.
Last year, we had some Chocolate Milky Way Cupcakes, filled with caramel and this year, I made you Kit Kat cupcakes using my favorite one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe. To go with the moist chocolate cupcake, I made a delicious whipped Kit Kat buttercream (using high quality Irish butter from Kerrygold) with crushed Kit Kats. It’s crunchy, indulgent and a great treat for any Halloween party!!
You HAVE to make these Kit Kat cupcakes!
I know you will love them as much as we did! And they will be a great thing to make with all those leftover Halloween candy.
Kit Kat Cupcakes
For Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½ cup hot coffee or hot water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For Kit Kat Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6-7 snack size Kit Kats, chopped finely (or processed in a food processor)
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Sift together all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients, including egg, using a whisk. Be sure to whisk the egg last into the wet ingredients to avoid scrambling with the hot coffee.
- Using a mixer, mix the dry ingredients on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the mixer and add the wet ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed and scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl. Mix for additional minute on medium speed.
- The batter will be thin. Divide evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool cupcakes on wire racks completely. Meanwhile you could start on the frosting.
- Whip butter on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt and heavy cream and mix on low for 1 minute until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and whip for 6 minutes. Add in the chopped Kit Kats and mix until combined.
- Use frosting immediately to frost cooled cupcakes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Tools I used in this recipe: (Some affiliate links included)
Yay for your first day at work! 🙂 These cupcakes are just the best! KitKat is like one of my absolute favorites! I am so going to make these cupcakes! <3
Thanks Samina!! I hope you love them!
Oh Kit Kat, it’s been sooo long since I had one, I always have something home baked at hand so then I don’t buy so much candy. But these look delicious, I might just make a trip to the store just to make these.
I hope you do 🙂
These cupcakes look amazing! And the frosting especially!
We don’t do Halloween at all around here but we do love some kit kats! They are my hubby’s favorite candy bar! These look amazing!
These…..OMG I want to eat them all! I love kit kats!
Aww! The transition is always hard, but doable, I know he was happy to see his Mommy. 🙂 I love the buttery cream frosting with the kit kat addition, it just screams, “eat me without hesitance!”. Thanks for sharing this one!!
Yay you had a good first day! These cupcakes with the kit kat frosting. STOP! My mama would deem me favorite child if I brought her these 😉
These cupcakes are EVERYTHING! I haven’t had a kit kat in ages, but I totally want to gobble down these glorious cupcakes.
Oh my gosh, I’m so terrified of Halloween. I’m a wimp and I can’t deal with scary stuff. So I only like the candy part. LOL! Glad you survived the first day back at work! XO
Lol same here!!
These cupcakes look awesome! Kit kats used to be my all time favorite candy bar 🙂
Used to be? What happened there?
I am glad you survived the first day. It gets better. You will still miss him but it does get easier. And then there are these cupcakes. Absolutely love!
Thanks Emily! Day two was much better but you are right I still miss him a lot.
Oh these cupcakes are delicious! Such a great flavor!
Love the kit kat frosting! Such a great idea!
My husbands favorite candy is kit kats and snickers, so I KNOW he is going to LOVE these cupcakes! (I’m sure I would love them too, but my cocoa allergy won’t allow me to eat this… if I want to breathe) I love that you used your one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe for these, because HELLO- YES to one bowl! And the kit kat buttercream frosting looks seriously rich and delicious. Drooling. I will have to eat these with my eyes… and be jealous as I watch my husband eat them for real! Pinned! Cheers, my dear! <3
Thanks Cheyanne! You do need to make this for your husband!
Awh, Z. . yes, treasure those moments with little E!!! so sweet .. I cuddled with Madeline today because it was so cold this morning. . I love seeing and hearing about your sweet moments and how much you love your little E!!! love these cupcakes!!! and forget the leftover Halloween candy. . I want to go out and buy kit kat’s just so I can make these!
Awww Alice! It was cold today here too.
Kit Kats are one of my faves! Love that KK frosting!
These are GORGEOUS! Pinned!
These are so killer! My youngest son is crazy for Kitkats. They are his FAVORITE! He calls them kittycat bars lol. He would LOVE these! I’m so glad you got through your first day back ok. My heart was hurting for you guys <3
Hahhah Kittycat bars lol! Thanks dear!
Going back to work can be soooooooo hard. Butt hen think of all the cuddle you come back home to.
Those cupcakes look amazing! Kit Kats are one of my favorites 🙂
I’ve been craving cupcakes like crazy and these look incredible! What a great way to use up leftover Halloween candy too.
Aaw, so glad you got through your first day of work ok. Enjoy all the precious cuddles 🙂 These cupcakes are so pretty! The hubs loves Kit Kats so these would be such a hit around here!
I really love your cupcakes, they look so fluffy and tasty. I love to combine candy or chocolate bars into cucpcakes frosting.
awwwww I can just imagine the “yay mommy’s home!” cuddles!!!
and these cupcakes are LEGIT-I loooove that frosting!
These cupcakes pay tribute to a beloved treat – the Kit Kat. The flavors in the cake are reminiscent of the favorite candy bar. It’s also a nice touch that it’s decorated with the candy bar itself!
Kit Kat’s are the best! Especially in cupcake form! These look so good!
Amazing recipe of something I just love – Kitkats. It just looks so yummy. The frosting also looks so amazing, can’t just wait to have it.
These were great! The frosting is just the right amount of sweet. This recipe will be my go to recipe for chocolate cupcakes, perfect! Thanks for sharing.
So glad to hear you loved the recipe. It is truly a go-to for chocolate cake or cupcakes!!
Incredible recipe! Worked brilliantly!! Thanks for sharing xx
So glad to hear Jenny!