Roasted Butternut and Goji Berry Superfoods Salad
This roasted butternut and goji berry superfoods salad is full of flavor, texture, color and is topped with good for you goji berries and a delicious balsamic vinaigrette.
Happy Monday! I have a salad recipe for you guys today. Say what? Yes guys, we are going savory for a day. A girl cannot live on cupcakes and donuts alone (although I wish).
My friend, Bintu, over at Recipes From A Pantry is visiting today and is sharing this roasted butternut and goji berry superfoods salad with us. She is a fellow Sierra Leonean blogger who lives across the pond. She always creates delicious recipes from pantry basics and she is one of my favorite blogs to read. If she is new to you, be sure to stop by after reading her post today. Here she is…
Hey folks – thanks to Zainab for letting me hang out here today.
I blog over at Recipes From A Pantry – aka bringing you delicious recipes using your pantry staples – including the ‘what do I do with that?’ items.
We are slowly creeping into summer (I know, I know, it’s an optimistic thing with me). It’s just that I can’t help but dream about all the barbeques, picnics in the park, long lazy garden brunches, outdoor film nights and of course fresh garden produce. You get that right?
And this salad will be one of my go to salads this summer. It is full of flavour, texture, colour (I am a sucker for red and orange foods), fresh salad greens and herbs. All topped up with good for you goji berries and a delicious balsamic vinaigrette. People, I got your back with this super food salad.
The ingredients amounts are a guide line only – please do feel free to add more or less of what you like according to your taste.
- 7oz (200g) butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large handfuls of salad leaves
- A handful of chopped cilantro (coriander)
- 1 apple, sliced
- 2 tablespoons goji berries (I used nu3 goji berries)
- 2 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Ground black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 350F / fan assisted 160C / 180C / gas 4.
- Mix the butternut squash with the oil and salt and roast for up to 30 mins or until done.Remember to turn the butternut squash at least once when roasting so it cooks evenly on all sides.
- Take the butternut squash out of the oven and let cool.
- Now assemble the salad ingredients starting first with the salad leaves and cilantro, then the roasted butternut and apple and finally the goji berries and pistachios.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the balsamic vinaigrette together until combined.
- Adjust seasoning and drizzle on as much dressing as you would like onto your salad.
You can pre-roast the butternut squash and keep it in the fridge till you need it. Feel free to substitute in carrot, sweet potato or other squashes for the butternuts squash. The vinaigrette lasts a long time at room temperature. I make up triple quantities, and keep it in a jar in my pantry, for the next salad. It lasts for at least a month without any ill effects.
Here are some other salad recipes you might like and please do pop over and say hello to my little corner of the blogosphere.
Thank you very much Bintu for this delicious recipe. Salads are my favorite summer dinners and I wish I had them more often year round. This recipe is a great place to start as we get closer to the warmth. You should definitely stop by Recipes From A Pantry to see more recipes from Bintu!!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!