Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding
This homemade dark chocolate coconut pudding recipe is a simple, decadent and indulgent dessert that is creamy, delicious and begging for you to try it.
Can I just say one LAST time that it needs to be Spring already? I know I know we are all sick of hearing about the weather and I promise this is the last time we will have this discussion (…?) But guys it is still freaking not here. We are still in the 30s and low 40s so we are almost there. All I want to do is wear the cute teal flats that I bought way back in October. They have been staring at me for months. I have at least three mental outfits planned for them but they all involve skirts, sleeveless tops, and Spring. Aieeee, my agony. I shall drown it in chocolate. Rich dark chocolate coconut pudding to be specific.
By the way, thanks for letting me vent that out. But I’ll get to talking about this beauty before us. Homemade pudding has been on my to-do list for a while now and there’s nothing like a rainy cloudy day to inspire me to finally make it happen. It is very easy to make if you have not tried it before and it is SO much better than the store-bought kind. It’s one decadent dessert!!
This pudding is made with 70% dark chocolate and is infused with creamy coconut milk. It results in a uber silky, rich chocolate pudding that is a simple indulgent treat and will have you satisfied after a few scoops. Trust me. It was so rich the hubster said it’s too ‘chocolatey’ and couldn’t finish his serving. I topped with coconut whipped cream, toasted coconut flakes and chocolate shavings along with some Easter candies since Easter is just around the corner. These will be perfect for your Easter brunch or dinner dessert table.
- 1 cup granulated .sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao), melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Whipped coconut cream (whipped cream with ¼ teaspoon coconut extract)
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Chocolate shavings or curls
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, whole milk, coconut milk, heavy cream and scrapings of vanilla seeds from bean. Add pod. Gradually whisk in the milk mixture to the dry ingredients in the saucepan until smooth.
- Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce speed to medium and cook until mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon, about 4 minutes whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the melted chocolate, butter and extracts until butter is melted and mixture thickens. Strain pudding through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl.
- Divide pudding into small ramekins, jars or bowls. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, top pudding with whipped cream, coconut flakes and chocolate shavings.