Shredded BBQ Chicken Nachos
I’ve been obsessed with my slow cooker since the baby arrived because it has saved my life so many times. A quick 10 minutes of prep and dinner is ready in a few hours. That means I could make dinner, clean the kitchen, put in a load of laundry and take a quick shower all within a 30 minutes nap time. I’ve had zero time for elaborate dinners and since he was born our dinners have all been quick and easy like these shredded bbq chicken nachos! Every new parent or busy adult needs these nachos and why I am sharing it today as we celebrate a dear friend and blogger in a surprise virtual baby shower. Surprise David!!
David (from Spiced Blog) and his wife are expecting a baby boy and a few of his blogger friends are showering him with love and food today as he prepares for his bundle of joy! As a long time reader of his blog, I know they are going to be the best parents to their little man and he is going to be an amazing sous chef before he can even walk. Just don’t forget to nurture his sweet tooth 🙂
David, your lives are about to change in an unimaginably wonderful way and you will quickly develop a ‘new’ normal revolving around him. Those first few weeks are hectic and honestly brutal but will be filled with so much love and joy that you won’t even remember how hard they were. The key to survival becomes easy to grab food as you cuddle and love your new one. Bring out your slow cooker and make easy dinners like this slow cooker shredded BBQ chicken. Make it! Freeze the chicken and assemble when you got a few minutes 🙂
I first made pulled BBQ chicken in the slow cooker a few weeks ago and we’ve been obsessed. Served in a salad, on a bun or just munched on, it’s a great dinner. I used leftovers of my second batch of that recipe to make this shredded BBQ chicken nachos. The nachos is topped with whatever you have on hand and it’s simply amazing.
- 2 bags (9 oz each) tortilla chips
- Shredded BBQ chicken (slow cooker recipe below but you can use rotisserie chicken tossed in bbq sauce)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 lb shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado,
- Pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup sour cream, thinned with a little bit of water
- Green onions, chopped
- Hot pepper sauce
Slow Cooker Shredded BBQ Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts, trimmed
- ¾ -1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you are making your own shredded chicken, place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the bbq sauce, worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt and pepper. Pour sauce mixture over chicken. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Once chicken is cooked through, remove the breasts and shred into pieces (I usually use a stand mixer for this, just beat the chicken with the paddle attachment OR you can use a fork as well.). Return chicken to slow-cooker and toss with bbq sauce mixture.
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray one large baking sheet with nonstick spray to coat.
- Arrange one bag of the chips on the prepared sheet and top with half of the bbq shredded chicken, black beans, onions, jalapeños and cheese. Top with another layer of chips and repeat the toppings.
- Bake the nachos until the cheese is melted, about 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and your choice of toppings (avocado, pico de gallo, salsa, sour cream). Serve immediately.
Pulled BBQ Chicken adapted from Hip Foodie Mom
Congratulations David!! I wish you guys a speedy and easy delivery. Enjoy the little man. And hang in there… those first few rough weeks will come to an end.
Here’s everyone celebrating David today! There are LOTS of “Dude Food” ideas that’s making this manly baby shower very delicious! Thank you Chris for getting us all together to celebrate David!
Something Amazing by Real Food By Dad