Whole Wheat Gingerbread Pancakes
Start every morning with these whole wheat gingerbread pancakes to give you all the energy you need for the busy holiday season!
Breakfast!!! Not a category you see a lot around here I know. But I HAD to share these pancakes with you! Especially as we head into a holiday weekend, you will love these super hearty (filled with whole grains) and super delicious pancakes. These pancakes are starting a new family tradition in my house this year. Whole wheat gingerbread pancakes on Christmas morning anyone??
The hubs and I had a quiet weekend last week (you know, the last calm before the storm arrives?) and I felt like a lazy breakfast. With winter flavors all around (and the snow), gingerbread just sounded perfect! These whole wheat gingerbread pancakes, packed with gingerbread spices, were are an invention that just made sense for a lazy weekend breakfast. And now we will be enjoying these on Christmas morning.
Starting with quality ingredients like whole wheat flour, original molasses and Kerrygold unsalted Irish butter, these pancakes are filling and will leave you energized all day long. Nothing says you can’t try to get your whole grains during this holiday eating season, right? Thank you!!
When Kerrygold Irish butter asked me what holiday breakfasts I will be enjoying with my family this season, my answer was simple after I made these whole wheat gingerbread pancakes!! These all winterlong 🙂
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned old oats, processed in a food processor
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups buttermilk
- To serve: maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and nutmeg.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter, molasses, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and whisk until no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix otherwise the batter will be lumpy.
- Heat your griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with slightly with cooking spray. Pour about ⅓ cup into the hot skillet. Cook until bottom is golden brown then flip pancake and cook other side until brown.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
More Gingerbread Recipes from Across the Web:
White Chocolate Gingerbread Poke Cake from What’s Cooking Love
Gingerbread Muffins with Sweet Cinnamon Glaze from This Gal Cooks
Gingerbread Cinnamon Rolls with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting from The Law Student’s Wife
Gingerbread Cake with Cinnamon Buttercream from A Cookie Named Desire