Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Raspberry Mint Compote
This lighter buttermilk panna cotta is creamy with every mouthful and is as indulgent as it’s heavier counterpart. Topped with a raspberry mint compote, it is perfect for any summer evening.
It’s time for another Mystery Dish post! Which definitely means it is the end of another month. I can’t believe we are at the end of May already. I am however not sad about the end of this month unlike the past few which have seemed to fly by fast. April and May were hectic and busy with school and I have been unable to get almost anything done in life. So I am excited that May is over and I have lots of exciting plans for the next month!
Next week, I am heading to Boston for a week-long Neuroscience conference that I have been looking forward to for a while. I’ll be spending time with the best neuroscientists in my field and hearing about the latest and hottest researching in Neuroscience (and hopefully impressing them when I present my work for when I ask them for jobs next year!). Besides all the nerdy stuff, I am also excited for Boston. I’ve never been and can’t wait to explore. Thankfully, my friend Meghan over at Spoonful of Flour will be showing me around the city and some of it’s finest bakeries. I’ll be spending a weekend there with a girlfriend as well. I will report back for sure 🙂
OK this month for Mystery Dish, our lovely host Cate of Chez CateyLou gave us an incredible list of ingredients to work with. The ingredients were: raspberries, peanut butter chips, edamame, lemon, yeast, whole wheat pastry flour, bacon, buttermilk, basil, zucchini and the challenge was to use at least two to create a unique recipe.
I have always wanted to try making Panna Cotta so when I saw buttermilk on the list of ingredients, I knew I was going to try a lighter panna cotta instead of a traditional one that is made with milk. If you are not familiar with panna cotta, it is a traditional Italian creamy custard dessert that is made with cream, sugar and milk. It is quick and easy to make and one dessert I think everyone should be able to whip up for any dinner party or gathering (small or big!).
Using buttermilk here lightens up this all-cream recipe and it does not sacrifice the creamy texture and lusciousness. This buttermilk panna cotta is just as indulgent as it’s heavier counterpart. It is silky smooth and just firm enough to melt in your mouth. I made a raspberry mint compote to top the panna cotta and this sweet compote is a perfect balance to the slight tangy buttermilk base.
- 2½ teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin (1 envelope)
- 2¾ cups heavy cream, divided
- ⅔ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raspberry
- zest and juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint, chopped
- In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over ¼ cup cold water and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat ½ cup cream until very warm. Remove from heat. Add in gelatin and ⅔ cup sugar to warm cream. Whisk until completely dissolved. Gradually, whisk in the remaining heavy cream and then the buttermilk.
- Divide mixture among ramekins or small bowls and chill for at least 4 hours or until set.
- In the meantime, combine the ingredients for the compote and ½ cup water in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Let simmer until raspberries break down and sauce begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Let compote cool completely.
- Serve panna cotta topped with compote.
This month the Mystery Dish gals brought some amazing recipes from out ingredient box. They are one talented group. Check them out below!
1. Raspberry Lemon Sweet Roll Cake with Buttermilk Glaze – Baking a Moment
2. Twice Baked Zucchini Boat – Chelsea’s Messy Apron
3. Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Raspberry Mint Compote – Blahnik Baker
4. Lemon-Raspberry Bundt Cake – I Dig Pinterest
5. Peanut Butter Chip Cookies – The Dessert Chronicles
6. Mini Coconut Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting – I Want Crazy
7. Zucchini Noodles with Meat Mushroom Tomato Sauce – Joyfully Healthy Eats
8. Baked Wonton Cups Filled with Edamame Corn Salad – The Well Floured Kitchen
9. Easy 30 Minute Orange Rolls – Yummy Healthy Easy
10. BBQ Chicken Salad with Jalapeno Basil Ranch Dressing – The Pajama Chef
11. Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes – Culinary Couture
12. Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze – The Weary Chef
13. Lemon Bundt Cake – Chez CateyLou