White Chocolate Vanilla Cake
This white chocolate vanilla cake is a moist, fluffy vanilla cake filled with white chocolate buttercream and topped with festive pomegranate seeds.
Hi friends! Happy Monday, let’s have cake! A slice of this white chocolate vanilla cake to be exact. It’s a simple cake with wonderful flavors that can be festive and a table show stopper.
This holiday season is my first year of baking and blogging, and in the next two weeks, I will be sharing some of my favorite holiday recipes with you. These are the classic recipes I make for our holiday gatherings and comfort eating.
This vanilla white cake with white chocolate frosting is one I make every year and I usually decorate it with blue and white snowflakes (using chocolate molds) for a wintry cake. However this year, I deviated a little on my decor (not the recipe) leaving the cake naked, but with some lovely pop of color to give it a different festive decoration.
Seriously, I am loving pomegranates these days. After these vanilla pomegranate oatmeal cookies, I wanted to enjoy these crunchies in some more baked goods. Oh don’t get me wrong, I discovered they are amazing in Greek yogurt as well (Thanks Julie for that!) but my new favorite combination so far is white chocolate.
This white chocolate vanilla cake recipe is a classic that you should have in your repertoire.
It’s a moist and fluffy white vanilla cake. I used my favorite gourmet pure vanilla extract and it gave this cake a great flavor and aroma. You guys, I cannot say how much I love using that extract. If you don’t have a good vanilla extract, you can use vanilla bean paste for the cake for a robust vanilla cake.
I filled the cake with a creamy white chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream and topped it with fresh pomegranate seeds. You know how I love a silky creamy swiss buttercream. These two together are perfect and make this cake extra delicious. But don’t take my word for it, you have to try it.
Whether you make this a winter wonderland cake or a festive galore, you will love the combination of white chocolate, vanilla, and pomegranates. It is the perfect holiday season cake.
What are some of your favorite classic holiday recipes?
White Chocolate Vanilla Cake
White chocolate vanilla cake is moist, fluffy vanilla cake filled with white chocolate buttercream and topped with festive pomegranate seeds.
- 3⅓ cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups milk, room temperature
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 ¾ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
White Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup white chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 8-inch (or two 9-inch round) cake pans and line with a parchment circle. Grease parchment and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir vanilla extract into the milk.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until very smooth on medium speed, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running, add sugar gradually and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and add flour in 3 batches, alternating with 2 batches of the milk mixture. Beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the batter in 3 additions.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into prepared pans and smooth the tops with an offset spatula. Bake cakes until tops spring back when pressed and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes (25-30 minutes for a 9-inch round)
- Transfer cake pans to wire racks and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert cakes onto racks to completely cool.
For White Chocolate Swiss Meringue buttercream:
- Whisk together sugar and egg whites in a heatproof mixing bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water. Whisk until warm and sugar is dissolved (mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingers), about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- With an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk egg white mixture for 5 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high, and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form and meringue has cooled (test by feeling the bottom of the bowl), about 6 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment and reduce speed to medium. Add butter, one piece at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. The frosting might look separated at first but keep beating until it comes together. Add the white chocolate and beat until combined.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake stand or serving platter. Spread about ¾ cup frosting over the top using an offset spatula. Top with another layer and repeat with the other two layers.
- Top with pomegranate seeds if desired. If not, continue frosting the entire cake and decorate desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I can see why people would be mad if you didn’t make this cake every year! Looks amazing, especially that white chocolate swiss meringue buttercream!
Thanks Meghan! The hubs loves this combination and requires it each year.
Triple layer cake stuffed with lots of BUTTERCREAM…how can you go wrong. This cake is so pretty!
Thank you Steph!! Lots of frosting always makes me happy in a cake 🙂
Wow that’s an impressive cake Zainab!
Thank you dear!!
Now that is the correct ratio of buttercream to cake! Pomegranates are such a festive fruit and this cake really lets their bright color shine. Your photos are stunning! P.S. I nominated you for the Sunshine Award – you don’t have to participate, I just wanted to let you know your posts are always really good!
Now I knew I loved you for a reason!! Cake and frosting ration is very important; absolutely necessary to get right :). So glad we are on the same page. Thank you so much for the nomination!! I am honored and so flattered. Heading over now to check it out!!
Zainab, this is such a beautiful cake! Love the pomegranate. It definitely reminds me of a winter wonderland cake!
Thanks Ashley! I’m glad it’s still festive :).
Gorgeous cake!! Sometimes I just want to buy pomegranates just to make pretty things with the seeds. 🙂 I love that you kept the sides of the cake unfrosted. Cakes always seem fancier that way, at least to me. Love all that fluffy frosting too!
I agree!! I love pomegranate seeds. I like how crunchy they are and how they make everything so pretty. Thank you Beth!
I am a huge cake person. Sadly no one else is so I don’t make cake too often. This one looks amazing and I think with the pomegranate seeds Mr. J might look passed it being a cake.
What? Mr J needs to come around. That’s a big difference between our Mr Js. Mine loves cake and would want one everyday. I have to say no all the time because it’s just the two of us and tend to wait for an occasion to make one. I hope the pomegranates can sway him.
What a gorgeous cake Zainab! I love the pretty pop of color from the pomegranates. Pinning this beauty! The white chocolate SMB sounds incredible and pairs perfectly with this vanilla cake 🙂
Thank you very much Kelly for sharing!! I love pomegranates and it’s really amazing with white chocolate. Hope you can give it a try 🙂
Zainab! This is a gorgeous cake!! I love the nakedness with the buttercream. And can I just say how much I adore swiss meringue buttercream… And make it some white chocolate smb?! Genius!! I can see why you would be in trouble for not bringing this cake.
Thank you Emily!! I love Swiss meringue butter cream too and it’s yeh first frosting I conquered. I used it for Friday’s post too :). Naked cakes are novel to me though but I loved how this one turned out.
Aaaaah the white chocolate/pomegranate combo sounds utterly amazing! I have to try it soon.
Your cake came out terrific, I looooove it!
Have a nice week, dear! xo
Thank you very much Consuelo! Have a great week too 🙂
Thank you Nancy!!
This cake is a beauty! I can’t believe how thick and fluffy the frosting between the layers is. You are a pro lady!
Zainab! This looks beautiful! Is this the new camera??
Thank you David! No it’s not the new guy yet. Played with it this weekend and those pictures will start rolling out Friday!!
This is one gorgeous cake, Zainab! Pomegranates are so beautiful, they really dress this up for the holidays, too. 🙂
Thank you Marcie! I can’t get enough of pomegranates these days. My hubby is getting concerned lol!
Oh my goodness this cake looks absolutely amazing! It’s so pretty and I love the combination of white chocolate and pomegranates. The frosting is so thick and fluffy, my mouth is watering! You’ve made another amazing creation, Zainab! 🙂
What a stunning cake! That punch of color on the top from the pomegranates is marvelous!! Pinned!
Such beautiful photos! The color of the pomegranates really pops!!
Your pomegranates look so festive! I love your cakes
Thanks dear! I feel the same about your cakes 🙂
I had to come back to take a look at this. I absolutely adore pomegranate and so too do the mini chefs.
Awww thanks Bintu! The mini chefs will love this cake then.
This is absolutely gorgeous! I just rediscovered my love of pomegranates and I so want to make this cake! Pinned!
Thank you Liz! I am loving pomegranates these days too and cant get enough it seems.
Your layers are just beautiful, beautifully stacked and very well executed.
I am not a big fan of white chocolate on it’s own, but just adore it in desserts. This I know I would love and can’t stop eating. Great job my dear.
Ash thank you very much! White chocolate combines so well with many things and this is a great example. Hope you are having a great weekend.
Zainab, you have done it again! You always impress me with how beautiful your food is and how wonderful it sounds! I have also been a fan of pomegranate lately! I have never had it but sounds like it would be SO good with white chocolate!!
Oh Ciara thank you so much! You make me blush with your kind comments 🙂
So yummy…so pretty…so festive for the holidays! You sure know how to create a fabulous dessert, Zainab. Thanks so much for linking some of them up at Moonlight & Mason Jars! 🙂
Thank you Samantha!! It’s always fun to party with you. I hope you are having a great weekend.
Wow! So festive and delicious looking. Found this post through the Pretty and Delicious linky! 🙂 Glad I hopped over.
Thank you so much for hopping over!! Hope you are having a great weekend 🙂
Very pretty! I have a couple of pomegranates waiting for me in the kitchen, as it happens 🙂
You should definitely make it happen Rachel 🙂
Dear Zainab, This is indeed an elegant holiday dessert. It sounds wonderful and looks absolutely magnificent. I would love to have a slice. Blessings dear, Catherine xo
What an amazing holiday dessert! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!
What a beautiful cake! Perfect for a wintertime celebration!
This is the most perfect vanilla cake ever. Absolutely delicious and addictive.
Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.
I’m so glad you liked this recipe!
Oh my God! I’m looking for something and I found this , I most try this thank you so much 😊
Hope you do 🙂