Chocolate Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Chocolate cinnamon coffee cake was made as part of a sponsored post for Collective Bias. A light and fluffy coffee cake, making the perfect addition to any celebration.
Does it seem like holiday parties are happening earlier this year? I went to one on Tuesday and today I have our departmental party. Since there are so many holiday parties going on now and with each you have to bring some sort of baked good and because everyone is bringing holiday-themed desserts like peppermint chocolate roll cakes or vanilla pomegranate oatmeal cookies, I am sharing with you something different you can bring along to your next holiday gathering.
Everyone loves chocolate and M&M’s, so I used my favorite milk chocolate M&M’s, which I picked up on sale at Walmart, to make this chocolate cinnamon coffee cake.
I made this chocolate cinnamon coffee cake for the first time two months ago, and it has quickly become a favorite snack cake around here.
It can be enjoyed any time of the year, making it perfect for any celebration, party or occasion. The cake is light and fluffy, lightly spiced with cinnamon and has a crunchy top layer from toasted hazelnuts and M&M’s. It’s also very versatile and you can make this cake yours by using any nuts of your choice and your favorite M&M’s. (It’s great with peanut butter M&M’s too, just saying!)
I don’t think any brunch will be complete without this chocolate cinnamon coffee cake in my future. Make this holiday season special by baking something different to bring to your holiday gatherings.
Enjoy this chocolate cinnamon coffee cake!
I will definitely enjoy a slice (or two) of this snack cake as I tackle the end of this busy week, before hitting the holiday party!! I hope you have a great weekend friends.
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup blanched hazelnuts, chopped
- ½ cup plain M&M's
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plain whole Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In a small bowl, toss together the hazelnuts, chocolate M&M's, cinnamon, and ¼ cup of sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and remaining ¾ cup until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract. Reduce speed to medium-low and add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce mixer to low speed and add in dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the yogurt in two additions. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula; Sprinkle the top with half of hazelnut mixture. Pour the rest of the batter and smooth top again. Top with remaining hazelnut mixture.
- Bake cake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean and top is golden, about 40-45 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan before turning out.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!