White Chocolate Semifreddo with Pistachios and Raspberries
This chambord-spiked white chocolate semifreddo is an easy but elegant summer dessert that has all the richness of ice cream and the light and airy texture of frozen mousse.
Happy Monday!! I hope you all had a wonderful long weekend (that is if it was a holiday where you live). We had a relaxing one with both friends and family. It was a weekend full of food, laughs, sunshine and family hangouts. I made these carrot cake cupcakes into a cake per the MIL’s request because we were also celebrating her birthday! I don’t know why I don’t enjoy carrot cake more over the summer, so perfect.
Mondays after a long weekend are always the worst to bounce back from. But thank God for white chocolate, Chambord liqueur, pistachios and raspberries in a mousse-like rich ice cream concoction. It makes Mondays oh-so bearable!! This semifreddo will take you places; good places of course. But first, what the heck is semifreddo? Since that is what the Boy asked once I started making them. I just discovered the world of this class of semi-frozen dessert and I couldn’t wait to share the joy with you!
Traditionally, they are made from two equal parts of ice cream and whipped cream. So just imagine the richness of ice cream with the texture of frozen mousse. Amazing right? Usually made in a loaf pan and served in frozen slices, they are incredibly delicious, smooth and easy to make. Want to know the best part? You don’t need an ice cream maker to make this!!
This white chocolate semifreddo with pistachios and raspberries is creamy, crunchy and crazy good. Oh did I mention it’s got booze in it too? I added in some Chambord (raspberry liqueur) for added flavor which is totally optional (NOT!). It’s one of my favorite combinations I’ve made so far and it’s so refreshing and perfect for a hot summer day. The rich chocolate combined with crunchy pistachios and a touch of Chambord is just to die for. You need to try this one soon.
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- ¼ cup chambord (raspberry liqueur, optional)
- ½ cups heavy cream, cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces white chocolate, melted
- ½ cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup raspberries, chopped if desired
- Combine sugar, egg yolks and chambord in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk mixture until pale and thickened, about 2-3 minutes. You can use an electric hand mixer or just whisk by hand. Remove from heat and continue whisking for an additional minute to thicken. Pass through a fine sieve into a small bowl. Place bowl into an ice bath and whisk until completely cooled. Wrap bowl with plastic wrap, pressing plastic to the surface of egg mixture, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving enough hanging over the sides to fold over.
- In a medium bowl, beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Beat in the vanilla extract. Fold in the white chocolate gently and then the chilled egg yolk mixture.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared pan. If desired, sprinkle some pistachios and raspberries over the top. Then spoon the rest of the mixture into the pan. Smooth surface. Cover with the overhanging plastic wrap. Freeze until set, about 2-6 hours.
- When set, transfer semifreddo to a clean surface. Peel off plastic wrap. Slice and serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer.
I joined Roxana’s chocolate party this month and she challenged us to pair chocolate and heavy cream in a delicious treat. I made this white chocolate semifreddo that goes beyond just creamy white chocolate and heavy cream!!
Want to join the party? Here’s how:
How to participate (the rules)
1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose. This month it’s chocolate and heavy cream. It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.
2.) Include a link back to the Chocolate party page. Optionally, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.
3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.
4.) Add the linky code at the bottom of your post.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!