Chocolate Cupcakes with Perfect Chocolate Buttercream
This Valentine’s Day make my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe for your loved ones. It is moist and decadent with a perfect creamy chocolate buttercream.
Every now and then I forget that we all need classic recipes for our baking repertoire. That is why I am bringing back these chocolate cupcakes with perfect chocolate buttercream back to your attention. I first shared this recipe over three years ago and I still use it every day. It is my go-to chocolate recipe for cupcakes and cakes and it is the only chocolate recipe you will need.
This chocolate cupcake recipe is a one-bowl devil’s food chocolate recipe that is fool-proof. Made with buttermilk, vegetable oil and coffee, it is moist, decadent and every chocolate lover’s dream. The addition of hot coffee to the batter always give a moist, rich mocha chocolate cake. If you don’t want to use coffee, just replace with hot water.
The buttercream here is a little different from my usual but it’s been a delicious variation. Instead of adding melted chocolate to the frosting, I used cocoa powder. It gives a very creamy, fluffy and chocolate-y frosting. With the addition of cocoa powder you are in control of how much chocolate you add and how chocolate-y the frosting will be. Regardless of your chocolate preference levels, this frosting is amazing!!
As I was putting this post together, I realized that I don’t have a post on the blog dedicated to chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream. I always dress things up. There were these dark chocolate salted caramel cupcakes (my absolute favorite, if I must say so) and this chocolate milky way cupcakes and even this chocolate peanut butter cake. But nothing just CHOCOLATE. And sometimes you just need a great chocolate cupcake.
So if you are looking for go-to chocolate cupcakes with perfect chocolate buttercream, look no further. This recipe will not disappoint and is easy to whip up at any time!!
For Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½ cup strong black coffee, hot
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2-3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ¾ - 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
For the Chocolate Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients using a whisk.
- Mix the dry ingredients on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the mixer and add the wet ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed and scrape the sides and bottom of bowl. Mix for additional minute on medium speed.
- The batter will be thin. Divide evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool cupcakes on wire racks completely. Meanwhile you could start on the frosting.
For Chocolate Frosting:
- Whip butter on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt and mix on low for 1 minute until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and whip for 2-3 minutes.
- Add heavy cream and beat on medium-high for an additional minute or two.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.
I got the sprinkles from HERE
Tools I used in this recipe: (Some affiliate links included)