Kit Kat Cupcakes
Kit Kat cupcakes are a great Halloween treat! A moist chocolate cupcake, frosted with a whipped Kit Kat candy bar buttercream.
Before I get started on these Kit Kat Cupcakes, I just wanted to say THANK YOU very much for the outpouring support on my first day back to work (re: last post). It was hard, as expected, but I made it and came home and cuddled with my little man for a good hour! Thankfully, he missed me too and just wanted to be held by mommy. I think it will get easier as we get into a routine, but for now I just have to treasure those moments we share at night.
Okieee dokieee these cupcakes!! You guys they are amaze-balls!! These are my cupcakes to start the celebration of Halloween around here. I am not really a fan of the creepy stuff that goes along with Halloween and probably why I ignore it as a real holiday but just like football season, I am a fan of the food and not the show. So I take to stuffing my candy in cupcakes and frostings.
Last year, we had some Chocolate Milky Way Cupcakes, filled with caramel and this year, I made you Kit Kat cupcakes using my favorite one bowl chocolate cupcake recipe. To go with the moist chocolate cupcake, I made a delicious whipped Kit Kat buttercream (using high quality Irish butter from Kerrygold) with crushed Kit Kats. It’s crunchy, indulgent and a great treat for any Halloween party!!
You HAVE to make these Kit Kat cupcakes!
I know you will love them as much as we did! And they will be a great thing to make with all those leftover Halloween candy.
For Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unprocessed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- ½ cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- ½ cup hot coffee or hot water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For Kit Kat Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6-7 snack size Kit Kats, chopped finely (or processed in a food processor)
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Sift together all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a medium bowl, combine all the wet ingredients, including egg, using a whisk. Be sure to whisk the egg last into the wet ingredients to avoid scrambling with the hot coffee.
- Using a mixer, mix the dry ingredients on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the mixer and add the wet ingredients. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed and scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl. Mix for additional minute on medium speed.
- The batter will be thin. Divide evenly among the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Cool cupcakes on wire racks completely. Meanwhile you could start on the frosting.
- Whip butter on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt and heavy cream and mix on low for 1 minute until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and whip for 6 minutes. Add in the chopped Kit Kats and mix until combined.
- Use frosting immediately to frost cooled cupcakes.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Tools I used in this recipe: (Some affiliate links included)