Mixed Berry Mini Tarts
Picnic season is upon us folks, so let’s start by dusting off our picnic baskets and filling them up with goodies before we head to the lake! Today, I am sharing some of my favorite picnic recipes and some tips and tricks to pulling off a relaxing picnic. The recipes and posts are over on the Kitchenthusiast, where I am a monthly contributor. So head over there for all the goods.
You will find the recipe for these easy mixed berry mini tarts, that make for an easy dessert in a picnic basket.
You will also find the recipe for this refreshing blueberry lemonade which is a MUST at your next summer get-together. I’ve been making it my the pitcher.
And also this amazing focaccia chipotle sandwich that I’ve made four times in the past two weeks. Fresh focaccia bread + chipotle mayo + swiss cheese = simple delicious sandwich.
What are some of your favorite picnic foods?
Mixed Berry Mini Tarts
For flaky pie crust:
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon shortening, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
For berry filling:
- 1 cup mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Combine all the ingredients except the water in the bowl of your food processor. Process a few times until butter is about the size of a pea. With Food Processor on, slowly drizzle in ice-cold water to the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together.
- Remove dough from bowl and pat down into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- In a medium bowl, toss berries, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Add in sugar and flour. Gently mix to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. When the dough is chilled, roll out onto a lightly floured surface into a 10-inch circle. Use a 4-inch round cutter to cut out 6 rounds.
- Transfer rounds to a Nonstick 6-Cavity Mini Pie Pan and fit well by pressing down gently. Fill each mini tart 3/4 of the way with the berry mixture, about 1 tablespoon each.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is golden and juice from the fruit runs out.
- Transfer the mini tarts from the tart pan to a wire rack for cooling. Store refrigerated.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m seriously so in love with this!
All of these are perfect for any picnic! Especially the mini berry tarts- love!! Feel free to send a packed picnic basket my way anytime! 😉
Hahha I would love to send you a packed basket 🙂
Love the tarts, love the blueberry lemonade and can’t wait to check out the amazing focaccia chipotle sandwich!!! heading over now!
Thanks Alice! I love that sandwich!!
These are adorable! Can I come to your picnic?? Heading over to kitchenenthusiast ASAP!
Of course you are invited to the picnic!!
We are planning a day of boating this weekend and talked about packing a picnic lunch. These tarts would be perfect for a sweet pick me up while on the lake. Heading over for the recipe!
Oh I am jealous!! Boating sounds like fun!!
Love all of these recipes! My summer picnics are set!
Everything looks so fantastic! You can pack my picnic basket any time, lol!
Thanks dear!! And I wish I could picnic with you 🙂
These are adorable! Love that they’re in mini form…so one could eat five for breakfast. I mean….
I like little treats. Especially when they are with berries!
Heading over for the recipe! These mini tarts are tooo cute and I’d probably eat about a dozen 🙂
All of these recipes look spectacular, but those little tarts look insanely delicious!!
Perfect timing!!! We’re luncheon out next week. These mini tarts are the perfect bite size treats!
Ah perfect!! Hope you try them 🙂