Orange Hazelnut Cake
A moist, aromatic orange hazelnut bundt cake is sweetened with honey and has subtle nutty flavors.
I don’t know where you live but for us on the East Coast, it has felt a lot like Fall this week. But I refuse to give in to the idea because we are STILL in August!! I intend to continue savoring the best of summer until the official end next weekend, after labor day. Who is with me? Don’t get me wrong, I am excited about Fall (Gosh it’s my favorite season of them all) but we need to live in the present a bit more and wait for the future to actually get here. We are still in the citrus, juicy berries, corn, and zucchini everywhere summer phase and I am still going to town in the kitchen with these flavors!! This Orange Hazelnut Cake was the newest creation last weekend to not only satisfy my hazelnut kick recently but to continue enjoying juicy oranges!
I am joining my fellow bundt cake lovers again this month for another bundt party. Bundt Bakers is a group of Bundt loving souls that share recipes each month with a common ingredient or theme. This month, our host Laura from Baking in Pajamas chose “Honey” as our ingredient of the month. How perfect! I decided to make an Orange Hazelnut Cake that is sweetened with honey!
Why orange, hazelnut, and honey? A) because I love combinations that are not normal but sound just amazing and B) I am on a hazelnut kick!! Ever since I got my hands on this hazelnut flour from Bob’s Red Mill, I’ve baked, cooked, and macaroned with it. After these hazelnut macarons with Chambord, I really loved the raspberry combination with the nutty flavor of hazelnuts. So when I was looking for a way to combine honey and orange in a crazy good cake, hazelnut was front and center.
The cake is incredibly moist with very subtle nutty flavors of hazelnut. The orange zest and honey additions give the cake citrus and sweet balance that is a great added touch!!
Orange Hazelnut Cake
A moist, aromatic orange hazelnut bundt cake is sweetened with honey and has subtle nutty flavors.
For the Cake:
- ¾ cup cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons orange-vanilla extract (or vanilla extract)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- zest of one orange (about 2 teaspoons)
- ¼ cup hazelnut paste (recipe below)
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup honey
For hazelnut paste:
- ¼ cup hazelnut flour (I love this Bob’s Red Mill Hazelnut Flour)
- 1 tablespoon whisked egg
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- (Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk together until the ball forms. )
For Orange Honey Glaze (optional):
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 6-cup bundt pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a measuring cup, whisk together the eggs and orange-vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, orange zest, hazelnut paste, and butter until light and fluffy about 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Add honey and beat for an additional minute.
- Reduce speed to medium-low and add in the egg mixture, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add flour mixture in two additions, mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake until cake is golden brown or a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Using a sharp knife, loosen the edges of the cake and invert onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Whisk together all the ingredients. Pour over cooled cake. Let glaze set for 10 minutes. Decorate with freshly sliced oranges.
- Store leftover cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Check out this month’s cakes from Bundt Bakers:
- A Taste of Honey by Margaret at Tea and Scones
- Hipy Papy Bthuthdth Thuthda Bthuthdy Cake by Lauren at Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Honey Almond Bundt Cake by Terri at Love and Confections
- Honey Baba au Rhum by Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Honey Banana Bundt by Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Honey Bundt Cake with Lemon Honey Glaze by Bea and Mara at I Love Bundt Cakes
- Honey Bunny Bundt Cake by Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Honey Caramel Apple Bundt Cake by Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Honey Glazed Blackberry Cornmeal Bundt Cake by Tux at Brooklyn Homemaker
- Honey Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake by Lauren at From Gate to Plate
- Honey Roasted Peanut Butter Pound Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Honey Whiskey Mini Bundt Cakes with Honey Whiskey Glaze by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Orange Hazelnut Bundt Cake by Zainab at Blahnik Baker
- Whole Wheat Honey Spiced Apple Breakfast Bundtlettes by Laura at The Spiced Life
Some affiliate links included in the text above.
Want to know more?
#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
And now I’ve got hazelnut flour on my shopping list. I think some chopped hazelnuts in it (once I see them in the market) would be great too. Definitely a cake to brighten up fall and winter.
That’s a great idea! Some chopped hazelnut!!
I am with you that it is still summer but I am love the non humid and cooler weather. This cake is absolutely beautiful.
I am green with envy over that jadeite cake stand!
I have never used hazelnut flour before but I am sure it is outstanding in this beautiful cake! I think I am going to have to join this group!
Thanks Jamie! I found that stand a while ago at Cracker Barrel restaurant store lol! Bizzarre place to shop but I’m always looking for cake stands so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.
I like that you added honey to the glaze. I’m going to have to make 3 or 4 batches of this.
I like how you think 🙂
i cant believe people are already talking about Fall…Did you hear about the early release of pumpkin spice latte?
I heard! They are just trying to make money! Urghhh!
What a beautiful cake! I love hazelnuts, and mixing them with oranges seems like a perfect combo….
I really, really need to get with the programme and get a bundt cake tin. So I can make fab things like this cake.
Bintu it’s a must!! I love my bundt pans!
That is so beautiful! I must make an orange cake before summers officially end!!
I love baking with almond flour but I’ve never tried hazelnut. This must change. Your cake is stunning with its beautiful oranges on top, Zainab! What a great combination of flavors!
Thank you Stacy! Hazelnut flour is sinilar to almond flour and I’m sure you will love it once you try it.
I’ve never seen hazelnut flour. Interesting! Will keep my eye out for it. How strong in the flavour? Like…compared to using a wheat flour + hazelnut extract? Just wondering… 🙂
Jill it’s usually in the natural foods section of most supermarkets. The flavor is nutty and stronger than what you will get with just wheat flour and hazelnut extract.
Love the combination of flavors! I am sure this makes your kitchen smell amazing. I need to check out this Bundtbakers group because I always love an excuse to make a bundt cake.
It did smell amazing! Oranges are awesome!!
This sounds like a seriously flavorful combination! I am excited to try it!
Ugh, I am DYING! I love the sound of this flavor combination. I love orange everything. Hazelnuts rock my socks. And I am totally that person who drops a ton of money of different types of honey just cause. I haven’t made anything with hazelnut flour because the stores around me are stupid and don’t carry it and I keep forgetting to order it online. and you know I am so crazy jelly over your photography skills. <3
You are my kind of girl!! Hope you can get hazelnut flour soon!!
Wow, this cake is a stunner, Zainab! It looks incredibly moist and fluffy, which is what all good cakes should be. The honey, orange and hazelnut combo sounds killer. I need to get my hands on some hazelnut flour pronto!
Thank you Nancy!!
Agreed! I’m still making (and eating) ice cream and berry pies and all other delicious things of summer. I love fall too, but no need to rush things :-). This bundt cake looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it!
let’s hold on to summer Liz!! Thanks 🙂
Beautiful cake, Zainab! I love those flavors and especially those orange slices on the top! I’m jealous of your fall weather, haha. It feels like a thousand degrees where I am! 🙂
I will take your thousand degrees any day Beth!!
These flavors sound delicious, and what a beautiful cake! Your cake stand is gorgeous, too! 🙂
I agree that I totally love fall, but it is still August! I’m hanging on tight to every last drop of it! Such lovely light flavors in this bundt cake 🙂
It is still August!!
I wish it would cool down here. Still in the 90. Gorgeous bundt. Love the combination.
Lol! I will take the heat right now!
I love this bundt cake Zainab! The flavor combination is perfect, just in time for fall!
Uhmmmmm joining this amazing group immediately – how fun! I always love bundt cakes and want an excuse to use it more. Also, great hashtag ahahaha.
Yes you need to join! It’s fun!
I only have seen orange and almond cakes.. this hazelnut cake looks wonderful!
It’s a great combination…orange and hazelnuts!
How pretty this looks. I love hazelnuts, I love oranges.. it looks like this bundt cake and I were a match made in heaven. Gotta try it asap!
Ohh I SO agree with your “let’s live the moment” mentality!
Annnnnndddd by the way, this cake looks absolutely fabulous! I love both hazelnuts and orange and I’m sure they make the favor profile of this simply amazing!
I refuse to let go of summer until at LEAST mid September. But I am still in full-on cake consuming mode and love this bright citrus beauty!
Yes!! Let’s hold on!!
Zainab!! OMG, this bundt cake!! Amazing! I LOVE orange hazelnut cake. . there’s one in Sweet Paul’s book, Eat and Make that I adore! I am so intrigued by the hazelnut paste .. and hello?! Orange Honey Glaze. . I’m so in and this would not be optional for me. LOVE this cake! gorgeous!!
Thanks Alice!! Oh really? I need to get my hand on that Eat and Make book soon!!
I love the sliced oranges on this cake! And yes, this weather has been crazy…I hope the early Fall spell there isn’t just foreshadowing another long winter…
It is foreshadowing 🙁
Oh wow how absolutely gorgeous is this cake? It is so sunny, the crumb is perfect and I adore that cake stand girl!
Thanks girl! Knew you would love the cake stand!
Love how you decorated the top!
Love this flavour combination Zainab, your bundt looks delicious!
Thank you Laura!! Great theme this month 😉
Love this bundt cake! So beautiful!
Holy yum, Zainab! This looks soooo dreamy! It’s been oddly fall like here, which I love but it makes me nervous that we’re in for another insane winter… Luckily, photos of this gorgeous cake can cheer me up 🙂
I know…the winter nearing just makes me sad!
I love using hazelnut flour and the oranges pair so well with it. Love the simple yet sophisticated look of this cake!
Wow, this looks amazing! I love these flavors. I may have to get myself a bundt cake pan just to make this! Pinning!
Right?!!! I mean, I’ve already unpacked my fall clothes. I’m in sweaters for goodness sake. What a summer it’s been. For me, I feel like summer ended weeks ago. It has been the worst season, weather wise.
Your cake looks so moist and delicious, Zainab. You really decorated it beautifully with the orange slices.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Thanks Tammy! My sweaters are coming out soon 🙁
I love bundt cakes so much! These flavours sound amazing together!
Gosh your cake is so beautiful!!! Well done!
That combination of flavors sounds wonderful! Great job, glad you joined us again!
I love hazelnut and orange too. The addition of honey is just lovely. This looks perfect!
That hazelnut paste is so incredible!!! I love the combination of oranges and hazelnut… ummmm!!! I need a largeeeee slice of that cake stat!!!!!
This sounds delicious! Your bundt cakes are always so amazing!