Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes with M&Ms
Thank you MARS for sponsoring this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I know, I know, it is still August and pumpkin is the last thing on your mind. But, but, it is back to school for many of you and that means summer is over right? With summer ending, fall is the next thing on the agenda…and that is pumpkin season! Did I convince you you should try these pumpkin spice donut holes?
It’s ok, that was a lame attempt but I will leave these donut holes here until you are ready for pumpkin season to begin but keep them in mind for your late summer and early Fall family moments.
Today, I’m helping MARS Chocolate celebrate the 75th anniversary of M&M candy! When they asked if I could join the party, I was more than happy to create these pumpkin spice donut holes with M&Ms for the celebration. They are such an iconic part of our culture that they deserve to be the center of fun recipes.
These baked donut holes are pretty much donuts but in bite sized form. Filled with pumpkin and all the spices of the fall, they are perfect for breakfast on-the-go or snack time or a mid-afternoon coffee break. I used peanut M&Ms and peanut butter M&Ms in these donut holes but you can use your favorite M&Ms. Personally, I love peanut butter and pumpkin together. You need to try that combination if you haven’t yet. And the peanut M&Ms here adds a crunchy touch to these donut holes.
I hope you try these donut holes now or when you think it is appropriate to celebrate the awesomeness that is pumpkin. In the meantime, be sure to check out your local Kroger store for deals on M&Ms and also more fun M&M recipes.
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon (a hefty pinch) baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- a pinch of ginger
- a pinch allspice
- ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup peanut or milk chocolate M&Ms
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini muffin tin with baking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the pumpkin puree and buttermilk.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or medium bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and mix until combined. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Alternate the flour mixture and pumpkin mixture, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix. Using a spatula, fold in the M&Ms gently.
- Using a tablespoon, divide the batter into the mini muffin cups. Smooth the top of each for a rounded smooth shape. Bake the donut holes for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 2 minutes
- Meanwhile, combine the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Coat the donut holes in the melted butter, then toss in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Enjoy immediately!