Blackberry Coconut Ice Cream
Hi friends! I have for you the FIRST ice cream recipe of the season! Last year I failed in my ice cream making agenda because of how busy my summer was with graduating and starting a new job. But I intend to make up for it this year and I am starting with this blackberry coconut ice cream!!
It is creamy, delicious, bursting with blackberries, lime and coconut flavors. Just delightful and perfect for the summer.
This blackberry coconut ice cream recipe starts with making a blackberry lime compote.
Fresh blackberries are cooked down with lime juice and zest and sugar to give you a thick blackberry compote for swirling. Next, we make the ice cream base. This is my favorite shortcut base that doesn’t need to temper eggs but yet yields a creamy ice cream base.
To make the base, all we need to do is whisk together a whole can of coconut milk, sugar and heavy cream. Together these will be chilled and churned before the compote is swirled in the last few minutes of the churning. Finally, once you transfer the ice cream to your storage container, swirl in the rest of the compote before freezing.
This is seriously the best ice cream I’ve made in a long time. The combination of sweet, tart blackberries with creamy coconut flavor is insanely good and perfect for summer! You need to try it soon.
Here are some of my other favorite ice cream recipes:
Blackberry Coconut Ice Cream
The combination of sweet, tart blackberries with creamy coconut flavor in this blackberry coconut ice cream is insanely good and perfect for summer!
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- zest and juice of one lime
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk, chilled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream, cold
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the blackberries, lime zest and juice and 1/4 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat until berries soften and breakdown and mixture thicken. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Chill until ready to use. (If you do not like seeds in your compote, feel free to pass it through a fine sieve and chill the syrup).
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk together the coconut milk, remaining sugar and vanilla extract on low-speed until the sugar dissolves, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream until combined. You can refrigerate the mixture at this point until ready to make the ice cream.
- Turn on your ice cream maker. Pour mixture into the freezer bowl and churn until thickened, about 20-25 minutes following the instructions of your manufacturer. During the last 5 minutes of mixing, add in some of the blackberry compote.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer safe container and swirl in the rest of the blackberry compote. Freeze for 2-3 hours or overnight.
Me oh my, this sounds/looks absolutely perfect! Hello, summer!
Hello summer indeed!!
this looks amazing! i plan to make a lot of ice cream this summer too 🙂
Yay!! Can’t wait to see what you make!
You’re on top of your ice cream game — I need to get on mine! This ice cream is right up my alley. I love blackberries and you know how I feel about coconut. I can’t wait to try this!
Oh gosh I am just starting!! You will love this one!
This ice cream is killing me! I’m not going to be able to stop thinking about it until I eat as least 12 scoops. Seriously, blackberry, lime, AND coconut all together sounds unbelievable 🙂
Make it and save some for the family!! It’s truly a great combination of flavors.
Hooray for the first ice cream recipe of the season! It looks delicious 🙂
I love everything about this ice cream, even those crunchy seeds ~ it just screams summer!
I love the crunchy seeds in my ice cream!
i love how fruity and summer-y this sounds!! i’ve been meaning to use coconut milk in ice cream too, and this sounds like such a tasty base to play around with (:
Coconut milk is a great addition! Hope you try it soon!
This ice cream looks divine!
This looks lovely! A perfect combination for summer. 🙂
I need to get my ice cream maker out! This ice cream looks like the perfect ice cream to kick off the ice cream season with!
You always have the best flavor combos! This sounds perfect for this heat!