Apple Pie Recipe
A classic all-American apple pie recipe with a very buttery, flaky crust and a cinnamon-spiced homemade apple filling.
For Pie Crust:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening, chilled
- 3 pounds apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced (I like using a mix of Granny Smith, Lady Red and Honeycrisp. Use any varieties you like)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar for topping
- Prepare ½ cup ice-cold water and keep in the fridge. In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt. Add in the butter and pulse for 30 seconds. Add in the shortening and pulse until the mixture looks like a coarse meal.
- Sprinkle about 6 tablespoons cold water over the mixture and pulse until the dough comes together in clumps. If dry, add a little bit more water (1 tablespoon at a time) until the dough comes together.
- Remove dough from the processor and bring it together. Divide dough into two equal disks and wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill for at least an hour or overnight. The dough can be made up to 3 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- When ready to bake the pie, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roll, out one chilled dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer dough to a 9 x 2-inch pie dish. Smooth the sides and bottom and cut off overhangs. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a large bowl toss the apples with the sugar, flour. spices, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix until flour is fully incorporated. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Fill the chilled crust with the apple mixture, making sure to pile the apples tight and high in the middle. Roll out the second dough similarly into a 12-inch circle and carefully place over the apple filling. Tuck in the edges or decorate as desired.
- Brush the top of the pie with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and cut slits on top of the pie to allow steam out. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for another 40-50 minutes until the crust is golden. A small knife inserted in the middle should come out almost clean. If pie edges are browning too fast, cover pie loosely with foil.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Cholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g