Homemade Queso Dip
Hey there, and welcome back, friends.
You are in for a fun treat!
Homemade Queso Dip
This homemade queso dip is perfect for parties and game nights. It is filled with simple ingredients, is easy to make, and tastes amazing!
There’s nothing like dipping a tortilla chip into creamy, irresistible queso dip while watching a movie.
The beauty of making homemade queso is that you control how spicy you make it. I used 1 jalapeño pepper and 1 can of green chilies for this recipe, but you can use more if you want it on the spicy side.
There are also fresh tomatoes and yellow onions in this queso, so you end up with lots of chunky vegetables when you dip your tortilla chip into it.
This queso is thick and creamy and filled with cheesy goodness. You can adjust the thickness of the queso by using more cornstarch.
This easy homemade queso is perfect for serving on game nights, movie nights, and parties. It’s always a hit at any party.
Ingredients in Queso Dip
Queso cheese dip is made with fresh ingredients, some spices, half & half, cheese, and some cornstarch to thicken it.
- unsalted butter
- yellow onion
- a jalapeño pepper
- a can of diced green chilies
- ground cumin
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- half and half
- sharp cheddar cheese (NOT shredded). I always use Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar
- fresh cilantro
How to Make Homemade Queso Dip
In a large saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and jalapeno. Cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in half of the tomatoes and green chiles. Cook until tomatoes soften.
Add the cumin and season with salt and pepper.
Add in the half and half and bring to a low simmer.
Reduce heat to low and add in the cornstarch and the shredded cheese, ½ cup at a time, constantly stirring until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick and smooth about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and transfer the dip to a serving bowl. Top with the remaining tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno peppers.
How to Store Homemade Queso Dip
Store homemade queso dip in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How to Reheat Queso
Reheat in a saucepan on low heat, stirring often until warmed through. Add some extra half & half if the sauce is too thick.
Can you Freeze Queso Dip?
Yes, you can freeze queso dip. Store it in an airtight container and allow room for the dip to expand once it is frozen. Queso can be frozen for up to 6 months. Unthaw at room temperature and then reheat in a saucepan on low heat, stirring often, until heated through. Add more half and half to thin the dip if needed.
More Snack Recipes
- Beer Cheddar Cheese Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Bites
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Bites
- Shredded BBQ Chicken Nachos
What do you think of this amazing homemade queso dip recipe? What would you serve with this dip? Let me know in the comment section below.
If you share across social media, make sure to tag #aclassictwist, so I can see your beautiful creation come to life!
Happy snacking, friends!
Homemade Queso Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 (7-ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (NOT shredded)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter.
Add the onion and jalapeno. Cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in half of the tomatoes and green chiles. Cook until tomatoes soften.
- Add the cumin and season with salt and pepper. Add in the half and half and bring to a low simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and add in the cornstarch and the shredded cheese, ½ cup at a time, constantly stirring until all the cheese is melted and the sauce is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer the dip to a serving bowl. Top with the remaining tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno peppers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 145Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 221mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 6g