Blueberry Thyme Galette
Blueberry thyme galette is a delicious summer dessert, bursting with fresh blueberries and garden thyme.
Phew, I bet some of you thought I was done with summer when I shared these pumpkin spice donut holes earlier this week. But that is far from the truth, I am still in summer mood and those were a teaser for what is to come in the Fall. This blueberry thyme galette is my current mood and is one of the best galettes I have made for the blog.
This is my first galette of the season. Can you believe that? I love galettes and their easy-to-make nature and every summer I make a few that stick around our summer picnics. This peach raspberry galette was a favorite last year and now at the tail end of summer, I think this blueberry one will be loved.
With hints of fresh thyme from my garden, this blueberry thyme galette uses my favorite buttery pie crust and is filled with a sweet blueberry pie filling.
The result is a slice of blueberry pie wrapped in flaky pie crust.
Just one slice of this and you are in pie or galette heaven. You will love every minute of it.
Blueberry Thyme Galette
Thyme Pie Crust
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon shortening, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling
To make crust:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor except the water. Process a few times until butter is about the size of a pea. With processor on, slowly drizzle in ice cold water to mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Remove dough from bowl and pat down into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- In a large bowl, toss together the blueberries and almond extract. Add in lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, flour and thyme. Gently mix to combine.
- When dough is chilled, roll out into a 12-inch circle. (I rolled mine onto a well-floured parchment to make transfer easy). Transfer to a baking sheet. *Note: Alternatively, you could divide dough into three and make three mini galettes.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture into the center of the crust, leaving 2-3 inch borders. Fold up the sides, gently tucking in over the fruit in a folding/pleating pattern. Transfer dough to freezer and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove galette from freezer and brush dough with egg wash. Sprinkle dough with turbinado sugar. Bake galette for 50-55 minutes until crust is golden and juice from the fruit runs out. Let cool before serving warm.
Wow! This. is. divine. I’ve never made a galette before. I love that you added thyme in the crust, how creative. Okay, I’m definitely going to give this a try. Wish me luck! 🙂
Z, this is one of the most gorgeous galettes I’ve ever seen! You piled it so full of those beautiful blueberries (which is really the only way to go!), and I love the addition of the thyme. Blueberries are one of my favorites and I wish I had a giant slice of this for my dessert tonight!
Ooooh Zainab this looks phenomenal! Herbal desserts are one of my very favorites, I love that little hint of savory in the midst of all the sweet.
I haven’t made a galette yet this season either which is just crazy. This is definitely an incredible way to make up for that!
You need to make one soon!!!
Part of me wishes summer could go on FOREVER if it means I get to eat all the berries! This galette looks so juicy berrylicious!
I have made this several times and will be making it again next week! Always a big hit with my friends. May have to make 2 so we will have leftovers.
So glad to hear Benita!! Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoy it again 🙂