Blueberry Thyme Galette
Blueberry thyme galette is a delicious summer dessert, bursting with fresh blueberries and garden thyme.
Phew, I bet some of you thought I was done with summer when I shared these pumpkin spice donut holes earlier this week. But that is far from the truth, I am still in summer mood and those were a teaser for what is to come in the Fall. This blueberry thyme galette is my current mood and is one of the best galettes I have made for the blog.
This is my first galette of the season. Can you believe that? I love galettes and their easy-to-make nature and every summer I make a few that stick around our summer picnics. This peach raspberry galette was a favorite last year and now at the tail end of summer, I think this blueberry one will be loved.
With hints of fresh thyme from my garden, this blueberry thyme galette uses my favorite buttery pie crust and is filled with a sweet blueberry pie filling.
The result is a slice of blueberry pie wrapped in flaky pie crust.
Just one slice of this and you are in pie or galette heaven. You will love every minute of it.
1 hour 35 minutes
Thyme Pie Crust
1¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
2 tablespoon shortening, cold and cut into cubes
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ cup ice cold water
3 cups fresh blueberries
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling
To make crust:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor except the water. Process a few times until butter is about the size of a pea. With processor on, slowly drizzle in ice cold water to mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Remove dough from bowl and pat down into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- In a large bowl, toss together the blueberries and almond extract. Add in lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, flour and thyme. Gently mix to combine.
- When dough is chilled, roll out into a 12-inch circle. (I rolled mine onto a well-floured parchment to make transfer easy). Transfer to a baking sheet. *Note: Alternatively, you could divide dough into three and make three mini galettes.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture into the center of the crust, leaving 2-3 inch borders. Fold up the sides, gently tucking in over the fruit in a folding/pleating pattern. Transfer dough to freezer and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove galette from freezer and brush dough with egg wash. Sprinkle dough with turbinado sugar. Bake galette for 50-55 minutes until crust is golden and juice from the fruit runs out. Let cool before serving warm.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!