Blueberry Thyme Galette
Blueberry thyme galette is a delicious summer dessert, bursting with fresh blueberries and garden thyme.
Phew, I bet some of you thought I was done with summer when I shared these pumpkin spice donut holes earlier this week. But that is far from the truth, I am still in summer mood and those were a teaser for what is to come in the Fall. This blueberry thyme galette is my current mood and is one of the best galettes I have made for the blog.
This is my first galette of the season. Can you believe that? I love galettes and their easy-to-make nature and every summer I make a few that stick around our summer picnics. This peach raspberry galette was a favorite last year and now at the tail end of summer, I think this blueberry one will be loved.
With hints of fresh thyme from my garden, this blueberry thyme galette uses my favorite buttery pie crust and is filled with a sweet blueberry pie filling.
The result is a slice of blueberry pie wrapped in flaky pie crust.
Just one slice of this and you are in pie or galette heaven. You will love every minute of it.
Thyme Pie Crust
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoon shortening, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ice cold water
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar for sprinkling
To make crust:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor except the water. Process a few times until butter is about the size of a pea. With processor on, slowly drizzle in ice cold water to mixture, one tablespoon at a time, until dough comes together. Remove dough from bowl and pat down into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- In a large bowl, toss together the blueberries and almond extract. Add in lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, flour and thyme. Gently mix to combine.
- When dough is chilled, roll out into a 12-inch circle. (I rolled mine onto a well-floured parchment to make transfer easy). Transfer to a baking sheet. *Note: Alternatively, you could divide dough into three and make three mini galettes.
- Spoon the blueberry mixture into the center of the crust, leaving 2-3 inch borders. Fold up the sides, gently tucking in over the fruit in a folding/pleating pattern. Transfer dough to freezer and let chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove galette from freezer and brush dough with egg wash. Sprinkle dough with turbinado sugar. Bake galette for 50-55 minutes until crust is golden and juice from the fruit runs out. Let cool before serving warm.