Cinnamon Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
Hi friends, happy Monday! I hope you had a great weekend. It was the perfect fall weekend for us with great weather, fun fall festivals and lots of fall baked goods. All that fun inspired these cinnamon cupcakes with maple frosting that I am going to be bold and state are the BEST. A moist, cinnamon-spiced brown sugar cupcake with notes of caramelized sugar is topped with an equally sweet maple frosting. Sounds perfect right?
This is one of the reasons why I love me some cupcakes. They pack in a lot of flavors in bite-size servings and they are perfect for almost all events. They really are my favorites! Check out more of my cupcake recipes in the archives.
These cinnamon cupcakes are based on my favorite brown sugar cupcake recipe. Brown sugar in a cupcake batter bakes up with a lovely caramelized flavor that is then complemented here with warm cinnamon in the batter. The cupcake has a tender crumb and a very moist cake. I topped the cupcake with a sweet maple frosting as nothing screams fall like maple!! It’s especially great with pumpkin but I love the deep amber flavor of maple with cinnamon and that’s exactly what this fluffy frosting is. It’s the perfect whipped topping for a delicious cupcake.
You have to add these cinnamon cupcakes to your fall baking list!! It’s a must and such a low-key flavor-packed surprise cupcake that will make you happy. Better yet, bring it to a party or dinner party.
I hope you guys are having a great fall!
Other fall-tastic cupcakes for your baking list:
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting
- Caramel Corn Cupcakes
- Brown Butter Cake with Maple Caramel Buttercream
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer beat the butter until smooth, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Reduce speed to low and add in the dry ingredients, in two separate additions. Beat until just combined and incorporated.
- Divide the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, beat the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix on low speed to combine. Increase speed and beat frosting until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!