Crispy Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken Wings
With a homemade wing sauce and delicious flavors, these EASY Oven Baked Barbecue Chicken Wings are perfect for game day, or any day!
Hi friends! I have another savory recipe for you just before the big game this weekend. These crispy oven-baked barbecue chicken wings are my favorite ways to make chicken wings. They are juicy, crispy, and just so good.
What is it about chicken wings that just get you?? I am a savory over sweet girl despite the abundance of sweet treats you find here. My go-to snack or comfort food is always savory and 9/10 times is chicken wings. While I was pregnant with my first, I had intense cravings for chicken wings. I had to learn how to make them at home as I couldn’t just keep buying them. That’s when I first tried baking chicken wings.
Have you ever baked chicken wings?? The easiest and also the best way to get crispy wings without frying. I’ll share some of my tips with you below on how to make these crispy oven-baked barbecue chicken wings.
How to Make Oven-Baked Barbecue Chicken Wings
First, we want to make the breading for the wings. So combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, baking soda, black pepper, and onion powder in a Ziplock bag and toss the wings in it.
Next, we want to place the wings on a baking sheet and refrigerate for at least another hour. This will help you to achieve super crispy wings! After that, transfer the wings to another baking sheet that has been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake the wings for 20 minutes and then turn them over. Reduce temperature to 425 degrees F and continue roasting for 20-25 minutes more or until the wings are cooked through.
Homemade Wing Sauce
Now we move onto the sauce! In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients. Simmer over medium-low for about 10 minutes. You can reduce or increase the spicy level of the sauce.
After the wings finish baking, toss them in the sauce and return them to the baking sheet. If you don’t want to toss them, you can use a basting brush to cover them in the sauce.
Then to crisp them up, place them back in the oven to broil for about 10 minutes or until the wings reach your desired crispness! If you like your wings extra saucy, you can toss the wings with the remaining sauce. And once you’re ready to enjoy, here are some things I like to serve mine with:
- Blue cheese dressing
- Ranch dressing
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
Not only are these wings perfect for game day, but we make them for dinner sometimes too! Serve them as an appetizer, or combine it with a leafy salad and some vegetables to make it a full dinner. When we get back to some normalcy, they’re also great for serving at parties, too!
If you liked these Baked Barbecue Chicken Wings, check out these other game day recipes:
For the chicken:
- 18 chicken wings
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- cooking spray
For the sauce:
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, use your favorite
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 jalapeno peppers, sliced (deseeded if desired)
- In a large ziplock bag, combine the flour, salt, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, baking soda, black pepper and onion powder.
- Wash wings, cut off extra fat and pat dry completely.
- Toss the wings in the flour mixture in the ziplock bag.
- Place the seasoned chicken wings onto a baking sheet in a single layer. Place wings in a refrigerator, uncovered, for at least an hour or preferably overnight. This is the key to crispy baked wings so be patient.
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- Spray another large rimmed baking sheet covered with foil with cooking spray. Don’t skip this step as you will regret not coating the foil when your wings stick to the foil.
- Place the wings in a single layer on the prepared cookie sheet, skin-side up, and place in the oven.
- Roast wings for 20 minutes and then turn wings over. Reduce temperature to 425 degrees F. Continue roasting for 20-25 minutes more or until the wings are cooked through.
- While the wings bake, make the sauce. In a small saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients. Simmer over medium-low for about 10 minutes; keep warm over low heat.
- When the wings are done baking, carefully toss them in the barbecue sauce and return to the baking sheet. Alternatively, you can use a basting brush and apply the sauce over the wings. Don’t forget to glaze both sides.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place the wings back in the oven and broil for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and wings are crispy.
- Toss the wings in the remaining sauce and serve.
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!