Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
Is there anything better than a warm mug of hot chocolate on a cold winter’s day? This Homemade Hot Chocolate recipe will warm you to the core!
Hi friends! December is in full swing, and it’s hard to believe it is already halfway over! It will soon be Christmas and then New Years’, and I am more than ready to put this year behind us!
It’s a cold and blustery day here today, so what better time to share this homemade hot chocolate recipe with you than now? It’s a favorite with both adults and kids alike, and you might just have all of the ingredients you need already!
I like my hot chocolate to be silky, smooth, and perfectly sweet, and that’s exactly what this recipe is!
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate
Making hot chocolate at home is easier than you might think! It’s really as simple as combining the ingredients, melting the chocolate, and stirring!
Start by adding the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract to a saucepan. Heat them on low-medium heat, making sure to whisk occasionally. Make sure the cocoa powder has fully dissolved.
While those are heating up on the stove, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments until fully melted. All microwaves are different, but it took three times for mine to be melted all the way. You could also melt your chocolate over a double-boiler.
Then add the melted chocolate and a pinch of sea salt to the pot on the stove and stir to combine. Once the hot chocolate reaches your desired temperature, pour it into mugs, and enjoy! It’s as simple as that!
Hot Chocolate Toppings
Topping my hot chocolate with fun and delicious things might be my absolute favorite part! Of course, the options are endless, but I’ll share some of my favorites with you.
- Marshmallows – This is probably the most popular hot chocolate topping! They’re pillowy soft and add another dimension to the flavor of your hot chocolate. You could even try my homemade Peppermint Marshmallows if you’re feeling fancy!
- Whipped cream – I would argue that this might be the second most popular topping idea. It’s light and airy and melts into the hot chocolate making it extra creamy.
- Crushed peppermint candies – If you’d like to add a little extra flavor to your hot chocolate, this is a great option! It makes your cup look super festive and fun too.
- Sprinkles – Sprinkles make everything more fun, right? Whether you opt for rainbow sprinkles (the kids always love those!) or the classic chocolate sprinkles, they are sure to be a winner.
- Chocolate chips – If you’d like to amp up the chocolate flavor, even more, add some chocolate chips to your hot chocolate! You could even do white chocolate chips, too!
- Chocolate syrup – Speaking of amping up the flavor, the chocolate syrup will do just that! It also looks pretty on top of a dollop of whipped cream.
Don’t feel like you have to stop at just one! Use a combination of any or all of these fun hot chocolate topping ideas.
More Homemade Hot Chocolate recipes you will enjoy:
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 oz chocolate bar
- pinch of sea salt
- Add milk, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sugar to a saucepan, heat on low-medium, occasionally whisking. Do not let it boil.
- Once the cocoa powder has dissolved, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments until melted, it took me 3 intervals.
- Add the melted chocolate and a pinch of sea salt to the pot and stir to combine. Once the hot chocolate reaches your desired temperature, pour it into mugs, and enjoy!
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using #aclassictwist so we can see what you are baking up in your kitchen!