Homemade Lemon Curd Recipe
When life gives you lemons, you make Homemade Lemon Curd! Right?
The best thing about Lemon Curd is how versatile it is. You can fill it with so many yummy treats from a topping to a filling or in another recipe. I absolutely love spreading it over plain toast, on pancakes and waffles, and even scones. It makes breakfast way more exciting when you have Homemade Lemon Curd as a topping. It’s also perfect to use as a filling in a crepe, between cake layers, or even layered in a parfait. The options are endless! I’ve even caught my kids with a spoon eating it right out of the jar. Yes, it is that good!
And it gets even better because this is one of those recipes where you won’t need a ton of ingredients. You most likely will have them all in your pantry because you only need 5 ingredients (and 5 easy steps!) to bring this delicious Homemade Lemon Curd to life. All you need is sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, egg yolks, and butter.
Let’s get down to baking this lip-puckering and sweet homemade lemon curd.
Grab a medium saucepan set over medium heat to combine the sugar with the cornstarch.
Once you’ve combined the two you will need to add the lemon juice.
Now you will want to whip up the perfect filling.
Cook, stirring until your curd is thickened and bubbly.
Once it’s really bubbling you will want to gradually whisk in half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks to temper the eggs.
Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook. It’s important to make sure you are stirring constantly! This helps the mixture thickens and generally takes about 2 – 3 minutes. Just keep stirring!
Remove from heat and add in the butter pieces. You need to whisk until it’s completely melted. It’s almost done! It’s so easy, right?
Get a small bowl to pour the mixture into and cover with plastic wrap pressed against the top.
You will want to make sure you chill for at least 4 hours. If you can, I prefer letting it chill overnight until set.
Look how easy that was!! Now for the fun part, here are a few ideas on how to use your lemon curd after you make this recipe. Use this homemade curd recipe in ant of the below recipes.
- Lemon Cheesecake
- Lemon Layer Cake Recipe
- Lemon Macaroon Cheesecake
- Lemon filled Donuts
- Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
What is your favorite way to serve Homemade Lemon Curd? I can’t wait to hear so please leave me a comment.
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups lemon juice (or citrus juice of your choice)
- 3 egg yolks, whisked in a small bowl
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the sugar with the cornstarch and add in the juice.
- Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Gradually whisk in half of the hot mixture into the egg yolks to temper the eggs.
- Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the butter pieces. Whisk until melted.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap pressed against the top. Chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight until set.