Peppermint Mocha Brownies
Skip the lines at the coffee shop and turn your favorite winter drink into a delectable dessert with these Peppermint Mocha Brownies!
Hi friends! Do you have a favorite holiday flavor? With eggnog, gingerbread, cranberry, and more, it can be hard to choose just one! Personally, I love them all, but there is one that stands out just a little more than the rest in my book.
If you’ve been around here for any length of time, you know how much I love peppermint (I even made homemade peppermint marshmallows!) But I especially love the flavors of peppermint and mocha together, like in this Peppermint Mocha Cocktail! There’s just something about the fresh flavor of peppermint mixed with the rich flavor of chocolate that screams holidays to me.
So when I was going through Even Better Brownies Cookbook the newest cookbook from Mike Bakes NYC, I knew this peppermint mocha brownie had to be the first recipe I tried. If you are not familiar with Mike, please go check him out. He has the most decadent and amazing recipes. If you love brownies, then this cookbook is for you. Grab a copy soon!!
How to Make Peppermint Mocha Brownies
You are going to love how easy these brownies are to make! It’s really as simple as combining the ingredients, spreading them into the pan, and then baking!
Start by mixing the espresso powder with boiling water and stirring that until a thick, paste-like substance forms. Then in a larger bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, brown sugar, and white sugar. Once combined, add in the butter and espresso mixture.
Next add in the eggs, one at a time, and stir in the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the salt and flour until just combined.
Spread the brownie batter evenly into a pan lined with greased parchment paper and bake. Halfway through baking, take the pan out and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top! Be sure to let the brownies cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting. And enjoy!
And that’s it. They are decadent, gooey, and just delicious. You can add a fudgy layer if you’d like but personally, I love them without.
If you liked these Peppermint Mocha Brownies, check out these other peppermint mocha desserts:
- Peppermint Mocha Lava Cake
- No-Bake Peppermint Mocha Pie
- Peppermint Mocha Donuts
- Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 1 ½ tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (unprocessed or Dutch-process)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- Crushed candy canes, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 – inch pan with baking spray and line the pan with parchment, leaving an overhang on all sides. Grease the parchment as well.
- In a small bowl, stir the espresso powder with the boiling water. Stir until a thick liquid or paste forms.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Add in the melted butter and espresso mixture. Whisk together until combined.
- Add in the egg, one at a time, and mixing before each one is added. Stir in the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the salt and flour until just combined.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out almost clean. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes halfway through baking.
- Let the brownies cool in the pan on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Recipe from Even Better Brownies